Spinach isn’t my favorite green. It leaves a chalky, gritty feeling between my teeth that makes me feel like I’ve accidentally bitten into an unripe banana (or persimmon). I think you know what I’m talking about…
For that reason alone, spinach isn’t my go-to green. But add that spinach turns into slimy green mush if you cook it 0.2 seconds too long, and you can understand why I usually opt for kale.
So imagine my delight when I discovered a new way to eat spinach that avoided both the chalkiness and the “green slime” issue. It’s with great pleasure that I introduce you to spinach chips.
If you loved my Lemon & Garlic Kale Chips, you’ll also love these.
- 1 bag pre-washed organic baby spinach (about 10 ounces)
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or melted coconut oil
- optional seasonings: a pinch of chili powder, garlic powder, or onion powder
- In a bowl, toss spinach with oil, gently. Make sure every spinach leaf is coated in oil.
- Lay individual spinach leaves on a parchment lined baking sheet, being sure not to overlap leaves.
- Sprinkle with salt and optional seasonings.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 7-10 minutes, or until crispy.
- Store in an airtight container.
You don’t need me (or Popeye) to tell you this, but spinach is really good for you. It’s loaded with vitamins, including vitamin C, folate, vitamin B6, niacin, and riboflavin. Spinach is also rich in minerals, including magnesium, iron, potassium, selenium, and calcium.
And now, finally, spinach actually tastes good!
If you want more pizzazz, you can always choose from one of my delicious salad dressing recipes to toss this with in place of plain oil before baking.
Now I’d like to hear from you:
- Are you a fan of spinach? If so, what’s your favorite way to prepare it?
- Have you tried spinach chips before? Tell me what you think of ’em!
If you want more tasty vegetable recipes, be sure to snag your copy of my popular guide: “Veggies: Eat Them Because You Want To, Not Because You Have To” below. What have you got to lose? It’s FREE!
Until next week,